I am very excited about the future of the Appraisal Institute and pleased to share some exciting news from this month’s Board meeting! Learn more about that, and other timely updates, from the past month.
AI Board of Directors Adopts Strategic Plan
Taking a big step forward, the Appraisal Institute Board of Directors adopted a Strategic Plan at its Aug. 12-13 meeting in Orlando, Florida.
The Board’s strategic planning process included input from AI professionals who responded to surveys regarding membership needs.
A key component of the Strategic Plan is an updated Mission Statement: Our mission is to empower valuation professionals through community, credentialing, education, body of knowledge and ethical standards.
Another element of the Strategic Plan is Core Values. The Appraisal Institute is:
- Dedicated to excellence, professionalism, ethics and integrity.
- Committed to leadership and innovation.
- Devoted to an inclusive and welcoming community.
Additionally, the Strategic Plan includes four Goals:
- The Appraisal Institute will protect and improve the value of affiliation.
- The Appraisal Institute will provide leadership toward a unified and inclusive profession with diverse perspectives.
- Appraisal Institute professionals will be consistently sought out by users of valuation services.
- The Appraisal Institute will improve the diversity of its affiliated professionals.
Further information regarding the Strategic Plan will be available in the coming months.
Sandra K. Adomatis Elected 2022 AI Vice President
I’m happy to share that Sandra K. Adomatis, SRA, was elected 2022 Appraisal Institute vice president by the AI Board of Directors during its meeting in Orlando.
Adomatis’ one-year term at the Appraisal Institute will begin Jan. 1, followed by one year each as president-elect, president and immediate past president. She will serve on AI’s Executive Committee and the policy-making Board of Directors all four years. She also will chair the Finance Committee in 2022 and the National Nominating Committee in 2025.
AI, AIERF Honor 20 Professionals with Awards
I’d like to personally congratulate the 20 individuals who were recognized by their peers at this year’s Annual Conference, including J. Scott Robinson, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, AI-RRS, (posthumously); Arlen C. Mills, MAI, SRA, SRPA; Terrell R. Oetzel, MAI; and Jim Amorin, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, with the Lifetime Achievement Award. President’s Award recipients were: Eric P. Haims, MAI, AI-GRS; Shelly H. Tanaka, MAI, AI-GRS; Sherry Engleberg; and Beata E. Swacha.
Winners of AI Education and Relief Foundation awards were Bonnie D. Roerig, MAI, AI-GRS, (James H. Pritchett Award); Larry T. Wright, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, (Y.T. and Louise Lee Lum Award); Peter T. Christensen, Esq., (George L. Schmutz Award); and Stephanie Coleman, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, AI-RRS, (Dr. William N. Kinnard Jr. Award).
This year’s SPOTLIGHT Award recipient was Sara W. Stephens, MAI, AI-GRS, and this year’s Outstanding Service Award recipient was Ryan L. Zink, MAI.
Winners of The Appraisal Journal awards were: Kimberly K. Merriman, Ph.D., and Leonard J. Patcella, MAI, (Richard U. Ratcliff Award); David C. Lennhoff, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, and Richard L. Parli, MAI, (Swango Award); and Bruce K. Cole, Ph.D., and David Hueber, Ph.D. (Armstrong/Kahn Award).
Read more about the award winners.
Other News Around the Appraisal Institute
And here’s some other important news from the Appraisal Institute:
- You might be aware that the Appraisal Institute, Fannie Mae and the National Urban League are working together on the Appraiser Diversity Initiative. This month, Freddie Mac joined the Initiative as a core partner, and as a huge boost to the effort, Chase committed $3 million! The goals of the Appraiser Diversity Initiative are to attract diverse new entrants into the residential appraisal field, overcome barriers to entry (such as education, training, and experience requirements), and provide support to position aspiring appraisers for professional success.
- AI posted two new videos to its YouTube channel during the past month. One includes information about legislation related to unconscious bias and the other is of the Awards Ceremony that took place during the Annual Conference.
- The Appraisal Institute continues to expand its social media activities. Be sure to follow AI on Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, YouTube, and its blog, Opinions of Value.