We’ll work to get through this challenging time together! I remain extremely impressed by the manner in which AI professionals across the country are adapting and exceeding the basic requirements of their clients. The Appraisal Institute is committed to providing you with the most current information about the coronavirus. Learn more below about that and other news from the past month.
AI Webinars Provide Timely Information for Appraisers
Here’s some current and important information that may be useful to your business during this pandemic.
The Appraisal Institute continues to host a weekly AI Answers session most Wednesdays. These sessions are conducted via GoToMeeting. I encourage you to check out the recordings of these sessions.
During the June 3 session, Appraisal Institute Director of Government and External Relations, Bill Garber, and Manager of State and Industry Affairs, Scott Dibiasio, discussed state and federal legislation and regulation impacting real estate appraisers.
The Appraisal Institute was pleased to host a session June 10 featuring Dennis Duffy, MAI, and Robert Heuner, MAI, from the Archstone Group, who shared how the tools and techniques of value sustainability analysis can be leveraged by appraisers to assist real estate stakeholders with scenario analysis.
On June 17, Bill Garber spoke with Lisa Desmarais, vice president, appraisal issues, for The Appraisal Foundation, who discussed a range of ongoing projects, including updates to USPAP, appraiser licensing trends and virtual education allowances for appraisers during the COVID-19 emergency.
Get the Latest News and Updates on How COVID-19 Impacts Appraisers
The Appraisal Institute is dedicated to making sure you have the latest news on the coronavirus pandemic. AI will continue to compile vital information about this ever-changing environment. You’ll find news and updates from government-sponsored enterprises and agencies. You’ll also find information about state-specific issues, in addition to industry news from the ASC and others.
Please visit the Coronavirus Updates page on AI’s website.
AI Board to Consider 2 Candidates for 2021 Vice President in August
The Appraisal Institute Board of Directors will consider two candidates for the position of 2021 vice president at its Aug. 6-7 virtual meeting. The two nominees are Craig Steinley, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, AI-RRS; and Michael Tankersley, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, AI-RRS. AI professionals may see information on the candidates’ biographies and questionnaires (log-in required).
In May, the National Nominating Committee nominated Steinley. Tankersley was nominated by petition pursuant to the Bylaws, which permit additional nominations by written petition signed by at least twenty (20) percent of the Directors delivered in writing to the Chief Executive Officer no later than forty-five (45) days after the NNC nomination is submitted to the Board. The Board now will evaluate and elect one of these two candidates as 2021 vice president at its August meeting.
Written recommendations and comment letters regarding the nominees may be submitted to the Secretary to the Board at email@example.com no later than one week prior to the election, 5 p.m. CDT, July 29, to guarantee distribution to the Board prior to the election.
Appraisal Institute Hosts Critical Residential Webinar
I’m excited to tell you that on June 12 the Appraisal Institute hosted the webinar, “Valuation Impacts of COVID-19: 1-4 Unit Residential.” This webinar, with almost 800 attendees from across the profession, discussed appraiser reactions to policy changes of the GSEs, FHA and VA, and addressed the dynamics with employee relocation appraisals, which require forecasting. Our hats are off to Bill Garber and Ray Martinez, senior manager, technology-based education, for great vision and initiative on behalf of AI professionals and others.
The Appraisal Institute assembled a stellar lineup of appraisers from the top 10 metropolitan statistical areas for the webinar. Bill Garber and I moderated this extraordinary session. The panelists included:
- New York – Domenick W. Neglia, SRA, Neglia Appraisals, Inc.;
- Los Angeles – Charles B. Baker, SRA, AI-RRS, Appraisal Pros. Com., Inc.;
- Chicago – Alvin L. (Chip) Wagner III, SRA, A.L. Wagner Appraisal Group, Inc.;
- Dallas-Fort Worth – Allen W. Gardiner, MAI, SRA, Gardiner Ray, LLC;
- Houston – Mark E. Verrett, SRA, Accurity Valuation;
- Washington, DC – Ayako Marsh Miranda, SRA, A&B Real Estate Group;
- Miami – Wendy S. Freidman, SRA, Target Appraisal Group;
- Philadelphia – John B. Ciminera, SRA, John Ciminera & Co.;
- Atlanta – Daniel M. Fries, SRA, Daniel Fries & Associates;
- Boston – Mercedes M. Calkins, SRA, Calkins Real Estate;
- Appraisal Flexibilities – Warren B. Boizot III, SRA, BLG Appraisal Group, LLC;
- Employee Relocation – Byron E. Miller, SRA, AI-RRS, BM Appraisals; and
- Rural – Michael V.Tankersley, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, AI-RRS, Tankersley Appraisal.
AI, RESNET Show Appraisers How to Use Appraisal Portal
As you may be aware, the Appraisal Institute and Residential Energy Services Network have been working together since 2015.
In March 2018, AI and RESNET launched an appraisal portal that allows AI professionals to access data for properties. The portal allows AI professionals and trained green appraisers to access important information about the energy efficiency of more than 2.7 million HERS rated homes in the U.S., including:
- A home’s HERS Index score;
- The date a home received its HERS rating;
- The company that completed the HERS rating;
- The name of a home’s builder; and
- The year a home was built.
Sandra Adomatis, SRA, of Adomatis Appraisal Services, led an interactive webinar on June 25 to show appraisers how to use the appraisal portal.
Other News Around the Appraisal Institute
And here’s some other important news from the Appraisal Institute:
- The Appraisal Institute Education and Relief Foundation offers numerous scholarships for AI professionals pursuing either their designation or state certification. The AIERF scholarships are awarded quarterly. July 1 is the next application deadline. Get the details: http://ow.ly/sSFx50A59K2
- AI is now offering the Verisite mobile appraisal solutions app as a featured benefit. The app allows homeowners to take interior photos, then transfer images and descriptions to appraisers. AI professionals can use the app for free through the end of June. After June 30, AI professionals can get a 25% discount. Learn more: http://ow.ly/5JHF50A5dyH
- RealMassive, a commercial real estate technology company, is working with the Appraisal Institute to provide AI professionals with access to its real-time data platform, DataQu, at no cost for the rest of 2020. In 2021, AI professionals will receive a 10% discount on their subscription. Learn more: http://ow.ly/4Hdg50Ai3mb
- The Appraisal Institute is offering a 15% discount for on-demand online CE through the end of this month. AI online courses are available the same day you sign up. Look at AI’s education catalog with over 35 discounted courses to choose from! Use code 15ONLINE when registering. Offer ends in four days. Learn more: http://ow.ly/wF8q50A50UK
- The Appraisal Institute continues to expand its social media activities. Be sure to follow AI on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Have a safe month!