AI takes seriously its role as the premier provider of education for the valuation profession, and in that regard is seeking to make an important change to its continuing education program.
AI Sends Proposed Amendments to 45-Day Notice
The Appraisal Institute on October 7 sent proposed amendments to Regulation Nos. 4 and 10 to 45-Day Notice. The proposed amendments concern moving from an hours-based continuing education system to a points-based system. The AI Board of Directors will consider the proposed amendments at its November 21-22 meeting in Chicago.
Read a summary and the full text of the proposed amendments on the “My Appraisal
Institute” page of the AI website (log-in required). Comments on the proposed changes should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AI Announces Strategic Initiatives for Profession
As you may have seen in my September message email to you, the Appraisal Institute has announced three major strategic initiatives that have the potential to fundamentally reshape the global valuation profession.
The Appraisal Institute will:
- Issue proposed standards of valuation practice that could serve as an alternative for valuation professionals where national or other standards are not required;
- Expand delivery of Appraisal Institute education, becoming more proactive in identifying and pursuing appraisal educational opportunities; and
- Create a new certification organization to establish a future generation of cross-disciplinary valuation professionals and to enhance their marketability in a competitive job environment.
Read more about the strategic initiatives.
AI Officials Represent Organization at Industry Events
The Appraisal Institute, in conjunction with the Appraisal Institute of Canada, hosted a meeting of the International Valuation Standards Council on October 22 at AI’s national headquarters in Chicago, where AI leaders facilitated discussions among other standards organizations.
Vice President M. Lance Coyle, MAI, SRA, is attending CCIM Live on October 25-26, where he will serve on a panel addressing “Eminent Domain and Its Impact on Commercial Real Estate.” I had the opportunity to serve October 20 on a panel at the Association of Appraiser Regulatory Officials’ Fall Conference, where I provided AI’s perspective on experience training concerns.
I was joined by President-Elect Ken P. Wilson, MAI, SRA; Immediate Past President Sara W. Stephens, MAI; and Chief Executive Officer Frederick H. Grubbe, CAE, in Munich, Germany, on October 7-9 for Expo Real, the biggest B2B trade show for property and investment in Europe, where we met with representatives from HypZert, the leading national organization in Germany for valuers working in real estate valuation and analysis in the financial industry with international partners, as well as a group of AI’s European professionals.
Ken Wilson and Fred Grubbe also attended The Appraisal Foundation Board of Trustees’ Fall Meeting, October 24-26, in Santa Monica, Calif.
I’m also pleased to share that AI leaders will represent the organization at some important meetings and events in the coming weeks, including:
- AI Northern California Chapter Fall Conference, October 29, in San Francisco;
- China Real Estate Valuers Association, October 31, at AI national headquarters in Chicago;
- Union of Pan American Valuers/FECOVAL, October 31-November 3, in Veracruz, Mexico;
- International Valuation Standards Council and Association for Real Estate Securitization, November 6-9, in Tokyo;
- National Association of Home Builders Mortgage Roundtable, November 14-15, in NewYork, and; European Group of Valuers’ Associations, November 15-16, in Lisbon, Portugal.
As always, I’ll provide more information about these events after they occur.
Additional Dates Announced for Review Designations’ Education
As I indicated in last month’s message, the Appraisal Institute has been developing courses for its review designations program throughout 2013. I’m pleased to tell you that new 2014 dates have been added for Review Theory – Residential (January 27-29) and Review Theory – General (February 10-14).
New Digital Titles Now Available
Several books published by the Appraisal Institute are now available in digital formats (PDF, e-pubs and Kindle.) Publications just released in digital formats include: The Appraisal Writing Handbook, Land Valuation, Capitalization Theory and Techniques, Mathematics
for Real Estate Appraisers and Rates and Ratios Used in the Income Capitalization Process.
Learn more about the new digital titles.
Other News Around AI
And here’s some other important news from the Appraisal Institute:
- The Appraisal Institute posted a new video to its YouTube channel this month in which Robert E. Dietrich, MAI, and Curtis Graham, Esq., discuss how appraisers can market their services to attorneys.
- The Appraisal Institute continues to grow its social media presence. Be sure to follow AI on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
On behalf of President-Elect Ken P. Wilson, MAI, SRA; Vice President M. Lance Coyle, MAI, SRA; Immediate Past President Sara Stephens, MAI; CEO Fred Grubbe, CAE; and the AI Board of Directors, please accept our unwavering appreciation for your ongoing support of the Appraisal Institute.