Is your appraisal business seeking answers to help navigate the coronavirus crisis? Are you a real estate valuation professional who is trying to keep up with the latest information? The Appraisal Institute is here to help by making available three webinars that addressed critical COVID-19 valuation issues in March and April.
The Appraisal Institute hosted a webinar April 17 that included a dozen leading commercial real estate appraisers who addressed changing market conditions under coronavirus. The webinar’s content can help appraisers – not to mention investors, developers, financiers and other stakeholders – understand buyer and seller reactions to the market. The webinar also addressed appraisers’ short- and long-term considerations when evaluating property in this environment.
Appraisal Institute 2020 President Jefferson L. Sherman, MAI, AI-GRS, and the Appraisal Institute’s Bill Garber, director of government and external relations, moderated the session. Panelists were:
- Douglas K. Hodge, MAI, ARA, CCIM, MRICS, senior appraiser, Farmers National Company;
- Grant Griffin, MAI, senior managing director, Valuation, BBG;
- Zach Bowyer, MAI, Executive Leadership, JLL Valuation and Advisory;
- Ron DeVries, MAI, SRA, FRICS, senior managing director, Integra Realty Resources;
- Robert Vodinelic, MAI, MRICS, national practice leader, Industrial and Logistics, Newmark Knight Frank;
- Anne R. Lloyd-Jones, MAI, CRE, senior managing director, HVS;
- Brian Rapela, MAI, MRICS, Partner, Joseph J. Blake & Associates;
- James O’Neil, MAI, practice leader, Sports and Entertainment, Cushman & Wakefield;
- Gary R. Free, MAI, SRA, senior managing director, Valbridge Property Advisors;
- James Graber, MAI, managing director & practice leader, Seniors Housing and Healthcare, CBRE;
- Jerry Gisclair, MAI, MRICS, executive managing director, National Client Services, Colliers International;
- Aaron Wright, MAI, MRICS, ASA, president, Specialty Valuation Group; and
- KC Conway, MAI, CRE, director of research and corporate engagement, Alabama Center for Real Estate.
In an effort to collaborate with other organizations to convey timely and relevant information, the Appraisal Institute, the National Association of Realtors, the American Society of Appraisers, the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, and the Massachusetts Board of Real Estate Appraisers presented a webinar, “COVID-19 Latest Developments and Collaborative Efforts,“ March 31. Topics addressed appraisal guidelines, regulatory revisions and stay-in-place orders during the coronavirus pandemic.
Serving on the panel were:
- Bill Garber, director of government and external relations, Appraisal Institute;
- John Russell, senior director of government relations and business development, ASA;
- Stephen Frerichs, government relations consultant, ASFMRA; and
- Greg McHenry, president elect, IAAO.
The Appraisal Institute’s March 23 webinar provides the most current legislative and regulatory developments that impact appraisers. Other content focused on fast-moving federal and state guidance issued for financial institutions and real estate professionals, in addition to professional practice guidance.
Moderated by Appraisal Institute 2020 President Jefferson L. Sherman, MAI, AI-GRS, the panelists were:
- Jim Murrett, MAI, SRA, chair, Professional Standards and Guidance Committee, Appraisal Institute;
- Stephanie Coleman, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, AI-RRS, director of screening, Appraisal Institute;
- Doug Potts, MAI, AI-GRS, chair, Government Relations Committee, Appraisal Institute;
- Bill Garber, director of government and external relations, Appraisal Institute; and
- Scott Reuter, chief appraiser, director of valuation, single family, mortgage credit risk management, Freddie Mac.
Subscribe to the Appraisal Institute’s YouTube channel to see these and future webinars.